EMC has one of the largest teams of experienced ecologists in the East African region; they work in diverse environments worldwide. We provide ecological consultancy across a range of sectors from oil and gas to renewables, but always with the goal of developing business-led solutions supported by technical excellence. We are used to working as a team to achieve integrated project solutions. Through being part of a multidisciplinary consultancy, we have detailed understanding of the cost and engineering challenges faced by our clients.
We help our clients to understand the challenges and opportunities that biodiversity and ecosystem services (BES) present for their operations. Key elements of our approach include:
- Delivering sustainable projects through the management of BES
- Taking a business-risk approach to the assessment of BES
- Understanding local and international stakeholders’ roles in BES
- A strong focus on health, safety and the environment throughout a project’s life
- Using the latest global positioning system (GPS) and remote-sensing technology to minimise field time and costs
- Providing knowledge transfer and on-the-job training for local ecologists.
We make the best use of resources to ensure that our clients can comply with the guidance and legislation relevant to their project. We apply international best practice standards such as the International Finance Corporation Performance Standard 6. Our experience includes working in challenging environments where climate, unexploded ordnance and security are that all managed to ensure the highest health, safety and environmental standards are achieved.
Key Skills and Services
With specialists in all the major ecological disciplines we can provide the full range of BES-related functions, including:
- Ecological baseline surveys
- Biodiversity action plans
- Ecological impact assessments for environmental impact assessments
- Method statements for working in sensitive environments
- Due diligence
- Biorestoration design and monitoring
- Rare species translocations
- Long-term ecological monitoring
Working in these sometimes challenging places provides opportunities to apply our pragmatic approach, which focuses on gathering sufficient data to identify key concerns in accordance with best practice.