Baseline Survey Report Assessment and Determination of the Project Status, Nyeri Water and Sanitation Company (NYEWASCO)
Name of Client:
Water Sector Trust Fund/World Bank
September 2016 – June 2018
Actual Description of Services:
Nyeri Water & Sewerage Company Limited (NYEWASCO) is a limited liability company by shares owned by the County Government of Nyeri. The Company was incorporated as a private company on 23rd September 1997 under the Kenyan companies act, CAP 486 and became operational in July 1998. The company‘s broad mandate is to provide water and sewerage services to the residents of Nyeri Sub-county and its environs.
The project is located in Nyeri Town which hosts the county headquarters. Nyeri County is one of the 47 counties in Kenya. Located within the Kenyan central highlands, the county borders Kirinyaga and Meru to the East, Laikipia to the North, Nyandarua to the west and Murang’a to the South. The county covers an area of 3,337.2 sq.km between longitudes 36o38” east and 37o20”east and between the equator and latitude 0o38” south. The proposed projects entail extension of sewer services to residents of Gatende, Classic/Ngangarithi, Ruringu/Skuta and Kamakwa/Kandara/Mumbi. The population estimates for the area are as give in Table below;
The proposed sewer extension projects consist of sewer trunk mains that connect to the existing Nyeri town sewer infrastructure. The trunk mains are fed by several laterals emanating from the targeted residential areas, public and commercial facilities. The sewers have been aligned as much as practical along existing road reserve to avoid interfering with existing private properties and developments. The sewers have been designed to take advantage of natural gradient and gravity. This aims at optimizing the pipe gradients in order to minimize the earthworks. The design includes a pumping station at Gatende.
Services Provided by the Firm Staff.
- Establish the subproject baseline for the WSP (NYEWASCO) whom expressed interest for financing under the OBA, against which the outputs linked to subsidy disbursement, will be measured and verified as claimed by the WSP.
- Confirm that the subsidy eligibility criteria have been met,
- Verify subproject costs,
- Report the findings to the WSTF and make a recommendation for payment of subsidy to qualifying WSPs.
- To undertake a baseline survey of each WSP to determine the technical, financial, environmental and social soundness and viability of the proposed sub project
- To verify the target areas under Maji Data and if not in Maji Data, to check whether they exhibit characteristics of a low income area either as an urban poor or rural area.
- Document the output targets to be achieved by the subproject investment against which subsidy funds will be disbursed and ensure the project works do not exist and are not in place
- Check that the proposed areas meet the pro-poor targeting method under the project and proposed investment cost and subsidy are within the cap
- Assess the reasonability of the projected investment costs
- Carry out a socio-economic survey to help assess the project impacts at a later stage
How Can We Help You?
Get in touch with us on how we can help your organization meet its needs in environmental consultation.
Shelter Afrique Centre,
Upperhill, Nairobi, Kenya
+254 020 440 6162